06/13/12, 12:12 pm
Hello my name is Cecelia Holloway and I currently has a tenant who have violated her leases twice by 1. not paying any rent for the last 3 months and 2. moving in someone who is not on the lease and I believe is selling drugs. My question is what do I need to do to evict her? Also the lights in the apartment is in my previous tenant name. I've spoke with her and she said she called the light company to have them shut off the electricity in the apartment but they have failed to do so. I wanted to know would I get in trouble legally if I shut the lights in the apartment since the light company failed to do so?
Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon
United States   |   Illinois  |  Tenant Law
Cost: Free


Heewon O'Connor Says:

Jun 13,2012 3:07 PM

Hi Cecelia, If you would like to evict the tenant you should serve her with a notice. An eviction action based on non payment usually requires a 5 day notice. Once your tenant is served with the notice and still does not pay the rent due, then you can file an eviction action against the tenant at the court. Once a court date is set, then the judge will order the tenant to move out if he or she believes that you have a valid claim. You should understand that it is quite long and possibly frustrating procedure. In addition, DO NOT ever cut the utility off from the apartment since it is illegal for a landlord to do so. Good luck!

Heewon O'Connor
O'Connor Law Offices
1920 A Highland Ave 203,Lombard, IL 60148

Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon