05/07/13, 6:06 pm
I just turned 18 last week and I have committed to a college. While filling out my housing application, a criminal record question search came up and I was in fact convicted of a disorderly conduct when I was 15. In Pennsylvania, is that a misdemeanor and if so do I still have to answer "yes" to the question since I was a minor at the time?
Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon
United States   |   Pennsylvania  |  Criminal Law
Cost: Free


Jason Dunkle Says:

May 13,2013 8:00 AM

Generally, disorderly conduct is a summary offense and not a misdemeanor. If it were charged as a summary, you generally are given a citation, similar to a speeding ticket, and you either plead guilty or not guilty. In many cases, with a summary offense, a person may not even go to court. If the charge were filed as a misdemeanor, then you would have been required to appear in front of a judge to have the matter resolved, most likely through what is called a "Consent Decree," which would have avoided an "adjudication" of delinquency. With a Consent Decree, you would have been assigned a probation officer, probably had to complete community service, and paid court costs and fees to the probation department. If you do not recall meeting with the probation department or going in front of a judge, you were most likely only charged with a summary offense and not a misdemeanor.

The responses provided on this site are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. No attorney-client relationship is created between the reader and JD Law, P.C.

Jason Dunkle
JD Law, P.C.
204 East Calder Way, Suite 306,State College, PA 16801

Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon