05/02/18, 1:01 pm
My former landlords requested that I leave personal property at their rental, until a more convenient time to discuss the matter, in two separate conversations. Without warning or contact, the landlords maliciously destroyed and disposed of that property, while the rent for that month was paid. They are still in possession of several flagstone pieces worth hundreds of dollars. Can I send a bill for the destroyed property, as well as the return or purchase of the remaining flagstone? If the personal property was also a business asset, does that affect the situation? During this time, the landlords attempted intimidation via threats of litigation and a third party representative. They also attempted extortion, demanding over $800 for 'repair' of two mini blinds, that they declined to replace when notified of wear and tear on cords, that were 8-12 years old. They successfully collected rent for 'lost income' while simultaneously collecting extra rent from the new tenants. This seems illegal, is it?
Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon
United States   |   Colorado  |  Landlord & Tenants
Cost: Free


Kevin Neiman Says:

May 08,2018 12:07 PM

When your personal property is damaged due to your landlord's actions, you may be able to sue your landlord to recover money. Generally, this requires proving that the damage was caused because your landlord had a duty to maintain something and failed to live up to that duty, causing damage to your property. In most cases, you will sue your landlord for property damage in small claims court; however, if the damages are significant, you may need to hire an attorney.

The information on this website does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. This website is only for general informational purposes only. By using this site, you understand and agree that there is no attorney-client relationship or confidentiality between you and Kevin Neiman. This website should not be used as a substitute for proper legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state, who is familiar with all of the circumstances and all of your specific facts and with whom you have an attorney-client relationship. Law can differ greatly from one state to another and changes frequently. The answers provided are general, and may not apply to a particular factual or legal situation identified by the question or not contained in the question.

Kevin Neiman
Law Offices of Kevin S. Neiman, pc
999 18th Street, Suite 1230 S,Denver, Colorado 80202

Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon