01/18/13, 12:12 am
One of my family members was moving his father in a Uhaul. He was on probation for something totally different. The cops blocked the road off, and stopped the Uhaul. The claimed that they had an annoynamas tip that he was in possision of a large amount of drugs. My family member, having no knowledge of drugs being in the vehicle, told them he had nothing and that they could bring the drug dog out. When they brought the drug dogs, they ended up finding a safe which was owned by this family members father. The father, not wanting to go to jail, didn't stick up for his son. So since he was on probabtion they automatically arrested him, he has been in county jail with no sentancing at this time. He pled not guilty. The police said that they physically pulled him over, by turning the lights on because he failed to use a left hand turn signal. Whenever his first hearing came about, the cop was telling the judge he pulled him over for a traffic violation. When my family member pled that the cop was lying. The judge then asked the officer if he had the video recording from the cop car. He said there was no tape. I am asking what could I possible do to help him fight this. My family member has a child to take care of and its making child a wreck because he is old enough to understand a little of whats going on.
Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon
United States   |   Pennsylvania  |  Criminal Law
Cost: Free


Jason Dunkle Says:

Jan 18,2013 6:11 AM

In some situations, you can present a very specific legal question online and get a very good answer that will help you. In other situations, you simply must consult with a lawyer in your area, review all the facts and circumstances, and have that attorney provide representation. For example, I could email a mechanic and ask him how to replace a motor, but, since i am not a mechanic, my ability to use his advice is very limited. It would be better for me to hire the mechanic to fix my car. Given the value of a car and how vital it is to my family, I cannot risk having my vehicle not work. The same is true for you. You need to retain someone that is a criminal defense lawyer that can protect your rights and obtain the most favorable resolution possible. The only advice that I can generally give you is to aggressively fight the case, but such advice doesn't really help you. An experienced criminal defense lawyer knows how to aggressively fight for you. People tell me that they cannot afford a lawyer, but can you afford not to. Under my analogy, I cannot afford to pay a mechanic a few thousand dollars to fix my car, but I also need to have my vehicle, so I must pay the mechanic to fix my car. If you want to have the best opportunity to obtain the most favorable resolution, you must get a lawyer to help you. While the law in PA is generally the same across the state, the people that administer the law in every area are different, so the same fact pattern can have different results in different areas. You should contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer in your area as that attorney knows the playing field and players involved and thereby can create the best representation strategy.

The responses provided on this site are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. No attorney-client relationship is created between the reader and JD Law, P.C.

Jason Dunkle
JD Law, P.C.
204 East Calder Way, Suite 306,State College, PA 16801

Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon