08/27/13, 5:05 pm
I was convicted of robbery in 2009. Since then, I have worked as a financial aid counselor at a career school. Obviously ne background check was performed. I have left that school looking for similar work in a non profit school. I have received offers from several schools but as soon as the background check is performed the offer s rescinded. I get that what I did is related to my job but not entirely. Financial aid counselors do not handle money and I have even offered the option of bonding but still nothing. If it weren't for my conviction I could have any job I want, I have great references and experience. I would like to know what my options are because I feel like these employers are not looking at my education or experience. What can I do?
Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon
United States   |   Pennsylvania  |  Criminal Law
Cost: Free


Jason Dunkle Says:

Aug 27,2013 8:15 PM

An employer is permitted to consider a prior criminal record if the record is relevant with regard to the tasks being performed on the job. Regretfully for you, a robbery charge is basically an allegation of theft by force, and thereby said charge is considered to be a crimen falsi offense. A crimen falsi offense is a crime involving dishonesty. In the financial setting, an employer would probably be justified in denying employment because of the record. Regrettably, in the short term, I fear that there is not much that you can do. As you mentioned, the negative is the record, and the only way to remove a felony conviction is via a pardon. I do not handle pardons, but you can check out some basic info on my website at: I recommend contacting an attorney that handles lots of pardons as he/she can probably let you know whether or not you have a shot of obtaining a pardon or not based upon your situation. I have been told that a pardon will take at least 2 years to obtain, so, if you applied now, the conviction would be 6 years into the past. I wish that I could be more optimistic and tell you that there was a way to get rid of the conviction more quickly, but, regrettably, the law often isn't on our side.

The responses provided on this site are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. No attorney-client relationship is created between the reader and JD Law, P.C.

Jason Dunkle
JD Law, P.C.
204 East Calder Way, Suite 306,State College, PA 16801

Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon