07/18/12, 2:02 pm
About 3-4 years ago, I took out a Chase student loan of $31,000, half of which I gave to my former boyfriend. At the time, he verbally agreed to help me pay the loan back, or at least his portion of the loan. As we are no longer together, he feels that it is not his responsibility. I will begin making payments in November, which is six months after my graduation. I recently messaged him, asking if he will help pay. He ignored me, so I told him I would take him to small claims if I had to. He says he will counter-sue the hell outta me AND subpoena me. I am not exactly sure if this is possible, given that we had a verbal agreement in the past about paying off this loan. Given my situation, I am asking for some help on who I should contact. I am not sure where to go next.
Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon
United States   |   Illinois  |  Small Claims Law
Cost: Free


Heewon O'Connor Says:

Jul 19,2012 8:47 AM

Do you have any proof to support the verbal agreement? It will be critical for you to show evidence of such verbal agreement. However, you should also remember that winning at the court does not guarantee collection of payment from your ex boyfriend. If he does not pay you even after the judgment, you should take further steps to force him to pay.

Heewon O'Connor
O'Connor Law Offices
1920 A Highland Ave 203,Lombard, IL 60148

Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon