05/25/12, 11:11 am
My mother has Alzheimers and is in a nursing home. I have informed her creditors and have a durable power of attorney. The creditors say they can't talk to me about it. What little money she has is paying for her home. I paid these bills for a year and a half but cannot do so any longer (out of my pocket). What happens now?
Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon
United States   |   Colorado  |  Elder Law
Cost: Free


Diedre Braverman Says:

Aug 15,2012 2:22 PM

If you mother has no assets worth more than $2,000, Medicaid should be paying her nursing home bills. She should also be receiving either Social Security income or Supplemental Security income. That income will be required by Medicaid to go to pay her "share of cost" for the nursing home. If that's not the case, then an Elder Law consultation makes sense (an Elder Law attorney may be able to help your mom qualify for Medicaid while preserving whatever assets she has). Since this leaves her with no disposable income and no assets, the creditors are out of luck. You could file bankruptcy in her name but it might be easier just to change your phone number and hers so that they can't bother either one of you. Throw the bills away. Be aware, however, that one or more of them could file suit. The best defense in that case would be bankruptcy.

Advice provided on the web is general in nature and should not be relied upon without consultation that includes exploration of the questioner's specific circumstances and goals.

Diedre Braverman
Braverman Law Group, LLC
1823 Folsom Street,Boulder, CO 80302

Share This: Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Digg Icon